Sunday, September 7, 2008

Final Preparations

This was the last weekend before the big

hugely rolling

and super fast

photos from www.cheqfattire.com

Chequamegon 40 mountain bike race. I have been spending the last few rides on my singlespeed to get used to it. I should have done this many weeks ago instead of days ago, but oh well.

I got some lighter and faster rolling tires for the race and also put a big 36-16 on the 1x1. I'm hoping it is not too tall for me, but other Cheq vets are telling me I should go bigger and just prepare for some running over the crests of the hills. Ouch! I think I'll stick with what I've got. It feels good on the hilly gravel routes I've been testing it on. And I also don't have any bigger options.

Today I met Steve and Jim for some nice riding out at Sugar Bottom. Steve is also doing the Fat this year, and we spent many miles convincing Jim to give it a go next year. Others decided to take a more secretive approach to their final preparations and not accompany us to Sugar Bottom. I have no idea what those secret preparations entail, but they will no doubt involve some fancy razor work.


The trails were in much better shape than the last time I went in late July. There was still poison ivy everywhere, though. Hopefully I steered clear of it. I pre-medicated and post-medicated, so that could make a difference, too.

The ride was nice and relaxed in the beginning and then picked up a lot when we ran into big Todd on his singlespeed.

photo from Skinnyski

I was worried about pushing a large 36-17 on the twisty, hilly trails today, as I am used to running a 33-17, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I hope that means I'm ready for the race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll do great! Glad you're getting to ride more Brian.