Tuesday, June 24, 2008

World Class Wheel Sucking

At least for awhile. I was only able to maintain it for about 80% of the night's College Green group ride. It was better than I expected, though. I had not done a group ride, or anything fast paced, in about a month. So I guess the easy spinning I was able to do 8 out of the 9 days over my surprise vacation was just what I needed.

Tonight I left my house just after 5. I had recently put on a new (well, practically new) Selle Italia Flite saddle on my Teesedale and I needed to make some minor adjustments. As I rolled around the neighborhoods there was a light sprinkle, but the skies looked promising for a nice and dry ride.

When I got to the park there was a small, amiable group of about 10, and that made me quite happy. But as the minutes went by we were joined by the Eppens on their tandem (ouch), Jim Cochran, Ryan Neninger, and finally, Jason McCartney, who was looking very, very tan. In the end, I think we had close to 30 people there.

The roll out south of town was nice and comfortable and I was pleased to see my former teammate Lee was back in town for the ride. We were able to ride together in the paceline for awhile and catch up on things. And then he prodded me into going for the first sprint of the ride, and for some reason I did. Of course, I'm not sure anyone else really wanted it since I got a gap fairly easily.

As I coasted into the left turn and tried to get my breathing under control the tandem train rolled through and dropped the hammer. And here is where my wheel sucking began. For the next 15 miles or so I was able to stay near the front, take the occasional pull, but mostly I just stayed in a spot that allowed me to spin as comfortably as I could.

This was actually not at all comfortable. Though it was a great vantage point to watch Jason roll between the back and front of the group, hands on top of the bars, looking around and smiling like he is on vacation. Though, I guess this is actually his vacation.

A few miles after we turned west into a semi-tough crosswind I lost it on a long climb. Lee kindly gave me a push back up to the group, but it wasn't enough. I was content, though. I made it farther than I thought I would, and I was able to catch up to a few of the other stragglers in the final miles. Maybe if I don't go for any silly sprints on Thursday I'll be able to finish the ride. Maybe.

No comments: