Thursday, August 7, 2008

On Disappointment

After finishing Frank Conroy's extremely enjoyable Body & Soul, I was left with a desire to read something with a European feel to it. Perhaps it was all the classical music, or the small sections of the book that took place in London, but I really wanted to cross the pond for my next book. But I only ended up going back and forth, and in the beginning, that was all right.

I settled on Zadie Smith's On Beauty. Zadie is a young, popular British novelist who has received much critical acclaim. On Beauty is loosely based on E. M. Forester's Howard's End, takes place in London and the Boston area, and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2005. So it met many of the criteria I had for my next book.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall the last book that left me so disappointed. I think I can say that Smith is a good writer, and the story was captivating enough early on that I felt compelled to finish it. She also does a good job of asking large questions about race, gender, social action, and the nature of an individual's beliefs. However, none of those questions reveal any new insight, and in the end they are drowned out by unbelievable chracters, cliched academic jargon peppered throughout the novel so as to appear smart and witty, and increasingly unlikely coincidences that are necessary to move the plot forward. If you like books about wacky academics, both Francine Prose's Blue Angel and Richard Russo's Straight Man are much better. And if you are interested in social commentary on race, gender, and social action, well there are too many good ones to list.

On a not disappointing note, Robin and I had a fabulous date night where we enjoyed the smoke free atmosphere of George's and for the first time tried their much talked about burgers. They were simple and not much to look at, but for some reason they just tasted so good. We will definitely be back.

No comments: