Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Biketastic Weekend

This holiday weekend was filled with bike stuff. There is too much to write it all down, so I'll leave you with the highlights.

Saturday we went to the Bike Library and picked up a sweet red Fuji, complete with world champion rainbow stripes, for Robin. After taking some fine sandpaper to the rusty sections it shines with quite a luster. In the next week or two it should be turned into a single speed. We're all very excited for Robin to become a single speeder.

Sunday I rode out to watch some racing in Muscatine with Michael, owner of The Broken Spoke, and John and Steve, mechanics of The Broken Spoke. We took a mix of gravel and pavement and arrived just in time to see Kim West finishing his race. I watched a couple more races before heading back to Iowa City. I called Robin on my way home and she came out and met me on her bike. It was nice to end the ride with her, she also brought me some much needed liquids and ensured that my ride for the day was just over a hundred miles.

Monday Sean and I met up with a bunch of folks affiliated with Geoff's Bike and Ski. The day started with much coffee at Kevin and Britteny's as we all sat under their porch and watched the light rain. Eventually someone made a move to go and Nick ended up leading us through some very fun trails on our way out of town (they might be a secret, so no more details here). And then we took gravel roads almost the whole way to the Amana Colonies and the Cajun Festival. It continued to rain on and off the whole way there and the festival certainly wasn't dry either. The sun was out, but the beer was flowing and we all had a few too many. The route home involved gravel and bike paths and some stellar mechanical work fixing broken pedals. I'm still impressed Nick and Sean's bikes made it back.

My legs feel thoroughly used, so I'll probably sit around today. Perhaps a little spin to the grocery store, but probably no more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You missed some fine racing action at the Melon City Brian, but I envy you your ride home and beer ride on Monday. Long rides this weekend?