Thursday, May 17, 2007

Two Root Beer Floats

It is starting to feel like summer. After a few cool days and rain, the sun has come out in force and I have that wonderful 'I don't really know what to do with my time' feeling. It is quite nice and I hope it lasts.

In order to not shock my system too much I have immediately started reading again. I selected an extremely fat book that gave Robin much pleasure earlier this spring. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It involves the return of magic to early nineteenth century England. And Clarke does a wonderful job making the book feel like it was actually written two hundred years ago. I remember Robin continually checking the copyright date while reading it. I suggest it. And it goes remarkably well with coffee or tea.


And then of course there are the increased hours on the bike. It has been nice exploring more dirt roads that in turn lead to new paved roads and all of this with no particular goal in mind other than to ride. Yesterday I went back to the Tri-County Bridge area for a little exploring. It is some of the more beautifully rolling and treed countryside in the area. But it left me a little famished and I was still over an hour away from home. When I got to a town I decided I needed a root beer float. They had a special for .99, so I got two, and that was more than enough to push me through the crosswinds and back into Iowa City.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate England and their silly books. Effing tea-drinking colonists.