Sunday, July 15, 2007

Bikes, Beer, Bikes, Beer and More Bikes (but no books)

Today was a wonderful Sunday. The morning started out a bit rushed, as Robin and I slept longer than we expected, but I made it to the park to meet Steve, Joe, and Ryan for our ride and I was only a few minutes late. We headed out south and west for the Fry Town loop. The ride was a perfect pace, a little on the fast side in the wind and easy spinning in the draft. It was fun to ride with Joe. I had not really seen him since I've moved back to Iowa City, so we had a lot of things to catch up on.

After the ride Joe invited us to his house to sample some of his very fine homebrew. Ryan declined, as he had family matters to attend to, but Steve and I were not going to pass up such an offer. Inside Joe's spacious garage approximately a dozen bikes hang from the ceiling. He has a geared bike and a singlespeed bike for just about every occasion, and a few extras thrown in just for good measure.

Sitting below the hanging bikes are about a dozen small kegs (a keg for every bike? Perhaps a good rule to live by). Many of them are full, and four of them are hooked up to a tapper that runs the lines through a refrigeration system. Joe switches them around to meet his tastes. We started by sampling a very hoppy, and very tasty, IPA. We enjoyed these out on the porch with Joe's cat Harry. We talked about everything from racers and drugs to morons and bikes. It was lovely. I cannot remember the last time I had a beer at 10:30 in the morning, but I doubt it was as good as this one. Joe's IPA is perfect for early drinking on a sunny day. The brewmaster kindly offered us samples of his other fine brews, but I had to be at the bike shop to work in a few hours, so Steve and I rolled home before we got really carried away.

The afternoon went by slowly. The shop has been packed recently as RAGBRAI is looming large on the horizon, but today was an extremely quiet Sunday and it seemed like forever before I could leave. Now I sit resting my weary legs in the recliner with a sweet wheat beer at my side. Tonight should be a relaxing one as the replay of the tour starts in ten minutes. It has taken all of my strength to not read any cycling related pages this last hour. So if you know who wins this first mountain top finish, please keep it to yourself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember the last time you had a beer before 10:30am.

Brian said...

too true. i can remember quite a few, and almost all of them involved pbr. or in a few cases tecate.

Anonymous said...

I had a little hangover at the Bike Library that afternoon, but I can't wait to do another ride to Joe's house.