Sunday, November 4, 2007

Extra Hour

Last night while most of us were tucked away in bed we lived the two o'clock (or is it three o'clock?) hour twice. In the morning I kept telling myself that I used my extra hour in bed. It certainly did feel nice to sleep in a bit. But while I spent the rest of my morning reading I decided I needed to force myself to spend that extra hour on the bike. So I went out into the sunny and windy Fall day for a quick reservoir loop. It was quite a nice way to end the week, and it marked my third ride of the week. I love being back on the bike with some regularity.

The other rides of the week were group rides, of a sort. This was the last week of the "official" Iowa City group rides. I met Steve, John, and another dozen or so riders for the Tuesday night version. We set off into the setting sun, lights on our handlebars and seats, and made our way to gravel, then B-roads, and then a short stretch of four wheeler trails. It was great fun, and I had not ridden that hard in quite awhile.

The other group ride was a bit smaller. On Friday night I met the Eppens at the park for a single speed ride up to North Liberty for enchiladas and Negra Modelos. This was the first time I've made the ride since I built up my single speed town bike. Single speed town bikes are more or less a requirement for these Iguanas rides. Other bikes are welcome of course, if you can handle a little bit of teasing. Anyways, the ride was nice. It was a beautiful and slightly cold Fall night. And despite the large plates of food and adult beverages, the Eppens made it quite the workout (my legs were still a little sore on Saturday). Perhaps there will be another Iguanas ride in the next couple weeks before the real cold sets in.

No comments: