Monday, June 25, 2007

A Change of Pace

For the past few months I have spared you, my readers, the numerous thoughts that I have had regarding new bicycle frames. I have been disenchanted with my cannondale CAAD 5 for quite some time now. When I got the frame seven years ago it was more or less the cream of the crop for aluminum racing frames. I raced quite hard on it for over three years and then continued to train as if I were racing for another three or so years. But I can no longer handle the rattling in my butt and hands. For the past few months I have found myself riding my cyclocross bike more and more. It is also aluminum, but it takes nice big squishy tires.

So, in brief, I think the perfect frame for me would be a steel road bike that has clearance for larger tires, say up to 35 maybe, but wouldn't look stupid with a faster set of 25s on it. There are very few frames around like this. Sure, there are lots of cyclocross frames, but as I have no intention of riding around twisty courses and bunny hopping barriers I don't need their geometries or higher bottom brackets. I want the stableness of a bike that can comfortably be ridden all day. This is hard to come by. Rivendell makes a few, though I don't believe they emphasize speed quite enough for me, I mean, just because I'm not racing doesn't mean I don't like to go fast on the occasional Tuesday/Thursday group race. Then there is Ebisu, beautifully crafted Japanese bicycles named after the God of Good Fortune, the Ocean, and Fishermen. From there the list drops off rather dramatically with Heron and Velo-Orange, great bikes, but I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for. And beyond that you must enter the realm of custom builders like Ira Ryan. I'm leaning towards the latter, but even if I went with a production frame like the others, I couldn't afford it for a little while.

So I have decided on an interim frame so to speak. It is steel. It takes pretty big tires, so it can handle dirt roads with the best of them. And I was able to purchase it through my shop for a very very low price. It is a Surly Pacer. It will be the perfect step between my super stiff and pingy aluminum frame and my perfect custom steel all day road/dirt/brevet frame. And when the new frame comes this could shift right into an amazing commuter or even become a 650b project.

The frame should come tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Oh, and if you were worried, I fixed my headset. I put one of the many pieces back incorrectly, but it is all better now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEEEEEHAAAAAAW! We have GOT to get together, Brian and Robin, too. Cody and I are entertaining my parents this weekend but soon soon soon!