Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Double Tape

I went for a ride today. It has been awhile since my last ride. Well, only three days, but it seems like a lot.

I took the cross bike out on some dirt roads south of town. Early last week Robin put some new bar tape on her townie bike and I put some on the cross bike. I have had the bike for four years now and this is the first time I have put new bar tape on it. Many hundreds of miles of riding through frigid winters and sweltering summer had worn away pretty much all of the padding. I should have replaced, oh, about three years ago. Surprisingly, it had very few tears on it and left almost no exposed bar. So I decided to just put my new bar tape over the old bar tape. It is lovely. The larger surface is a pleasure to hang onto while bumping down Level B roads. I've known many people who enjoy the double tape, and if you haven't given it a shot, I suggest you do. Unless you have small hands, then you might not like it as much.

So I cruised south on gravel and slowly meandered over to Lone Tree. It was quite hot and I had already consumed half of my liquids so I decided to stop at a gas station for a refreshing root beer. Again I got the "training for Ragbrai?" question from the clerk. "No," I said, "just out for a ride." This response brought a puzzled look to her face. She thought it strange that Lance was going to be at Ragbrai and I wasn't, as if all people with tight bright clothes and two wheels stick together. I tried to come up with an equivalent for convenient store clerks but couldn't, so I just smiled and went outside to enjoy my beverage.

I left Lone Tree heading east on gravel and then shortly turned left onto SE White Oak Ave, a Level B road. As many times as I've been through Lone Tree I have never taken this gem of a B road. The dirt is smooth, there are a few lovely rolling hills, and the grass has grown over most of it so that it resembled nice doubletrack more than a farm road. I took it until it dead ended and I think there were three very nice Level B sections. I give SE White Oak Ave two thumbs up. I then continued to zig zag with the tailwind all the way back to IC. It was warm, but very nice.

On a sad note, Joe, my compatriot at the bike shop, had is De Rosa stolen from right outside the bike shop. Absolutely appalling. It is a beautiful bike. The signature De Rosa heart is subtly laid over the main triangle. If you see someone on it who doesn't look like their name is Joe Lazio (and yes, he is as Italian as his name and the bike's name) push them into a lamp post or do whatever else you see fit. Down with bike thievery I say.

No comments: