Thursday, June 28, 2007

Mostly complete

Well the frame is here and almost entirely put together. The silver paint job is cooler than I thought it would be. And I dig the new pacer graphics.

Half of it went together quickly, the other half took some ingenuity. The front derailleur clamp from my C'dale is too big. I solved this by creating a shim that is one parts electrical tape two parts aluminum A&W Root Beer can. It seems to work fine and should last at least a few days until I can get the correct sized clamp ordered.

The biggest road block came from the derailleur hanger. The threads were not in great shape. I had cleaned them out to the best of my ability but the derailleur did not want to call that hanger home. For the next few minutes we put the derailleur in and out from the inside of the rear stays. That helped, but the screw was not long enough. We looked for other screws of the same size but longer. We found one from the scrap parts of Robin's Fuji. Why did we save those? We have no idea, but we're glad we did. A few turns of that screw and everything was just fine.

I still need to cut the steerer tube and figure out which size stem would work best, so I haven't taken it for a real ride yet. It does feel nice though.



Here I am sitting in a chair pondering my derailleur dilemma.

Bigger, more complete photos to follow.

It is somewhat funny that both of my setup problems came in the form of my derailleurs and that Robin's best picture was of our derailleurless bikes. Hmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking good, I have lots of derailleurs!