Friday, June 22, 2007

Keep Both Hands On The Wheel At All Times

Today I did some work on my cyclocross bike's headset. It is not in good shape. There is an unhealthy amount of rust on the outside, and for the past few rides it would creak while I was climbing out of the saddle. It would only creak when I would lean the bike to the left though. This made for a relatively enchanting rhythm and is perhaps the reason I've waited so long to clean it.

But today I pulled it apart. I cleaned all the innards up and re-greased the important parts. I even used some fine sandpaper to get most of the rust off. When I put it all back together the creaking was gone and it felt smooth. But now I can't ride without hands. I don't understand it. The steering seems to stick and the bike becomes very intent on veering off course. I have loosened and tightened everything numerous times, but still no easy no-handed riding.

I can also feel a subtle difference when riding with hands. In general, the bike just feels more sluggish, particularly at low speeds. If any of you other bike people have thoughts on this, please let me know. Riding without hands makes me feel like a big kid, and now I feel like I'm getting older by the minute.

No comments: