Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weekend Update (long version)

It has been a truly tremendous weekend. After an extremely wet week, I managed to ride my bike twice, hang out with friends, and not do any homework. How did I manage to skip the homework you might ask? I will just say that my method for getting work done is not advised.

Yesterday morning we woke up to a very chilly and cloudy day. The weather people said there was a good chance for snow/ice/rain mix later that afternoon, so I spent some time convincing myself that I should go out and ride early. By the time I finished my breakfast and got dressed it was half past nine. And as soon as I stepped outside snow pellets were falling on me. Shit.

But it wasn't raining, and I spent so much time finding my warm cycling clothes and putting them on, so I decided to ride anyways. This was the right decision to make. The sky continued spit frozen stuff off and on for the duration of my two hour ride. Despite this, I had a wonderful time and saw three other riders who looked like they were having as much fun as me. One of them was Steve. We rode together and chatted for a few minutes, but I was on my way in and he was heading out, so we parted ways.

The afternoon was nice and relaxing. I read all the pre-race coverage for Paris-Roubaix as I watched the snow and ice fall outside. Later, Robin and I rode down to the Bike Library to look for a front derailleur and hang out with Steve and Cody. We scored a slightly used fd and made plans to meet Steve and Cody at the Red Avocado for dinner. From time to time we let them borrow one of our cars. They like to repay us with a nice dinner. We think this is slightly unfair, since we are not put out at all by them using our car and because we have so much fun at dinner.

When we got home Robin and I were excited to try some Sherry. Port is one of our all time favorite adult beverages, so we decided to give Sherry a shot too. They do have a lot in common, but if you really love Port for its complex mix of sweet and dry flavors and a wonderfully full bodied aftertaste, then you might not like Sherry. I would say Sherry is more like cough syrup. Only sweeter. There will be no more Sherry for us.

Sunday brought nice sunny weather when I woke up. It was cold, but the lack of frozen rain was very nice. I was meeting Steve at the park at 8, so I quickly ate breakfast and read the live updates for the first 180km of Paris-Roubaix. There were some crashes, of course, but most of the favorites were at the front and making it exciting.

Steve and I had a decidedly easier ride. We hit a couple of gravel sections, but mostly rode pavement. We encountered a few reckless drivers, but we made it back safe and sound. And Steve even scored a nice yellow-handled screwdriver. I was slightly jealous, as I actually spent much of yesterday's ride looking for road finds.

In the afternoon I enjoyed some really good coffee, read about Boonen's very exciting second victory at Pari-Roubaix, put up a very exciting gift from the wonderful Robin (read about it here). And tonight we are eating chicken enchiladas with red sauce, made more as a casserole. Steve and I decided blogs are much better with pictures, so if you've read this far, here is your reward.

Ok, so it isn't really that exciting. But I can tell you that the reward is better tasted than seen.

No comments: